Well I am not doing well in the "getting the miles in" department! The week before last went like this; a two mile run on Wednesday, then on Saturday I did a total of 3.5 miles of speed work ( 2 mile warm up with one mile at 8:40 and then barely
eeked out another 800 meters for 4:44- I wasn't feeling it at all!) However Sunday went okay. I was supossed to do fourteen miles. I kept trying to psych myself up for it, I was a little nervous, but I was going to do it at the track so its not like I was going out of my way and running the risk of getting lost. I also didn't have that halfway mark. So I could constantly push just a little more, and not have to worry about leaving enough time to get back , because my car was right at the track.
I also came fueled and prepared. For breakfast I had cereal,a piece of pumkin bread and a Dr. Pepper. I had a GU right before I started at the track as well. And then I set up my own little "aid stations." I had a container of cut up oranges, water, and Gatorade at one, then I had another GU and water at another. I'm sure people who were at the track thought I was a little overzealous, but this was supposedly going to be my longest long run of my life I wanted to be prepared!
It started out okay. I was running pretty solid and was speeding up from an 11:00 minute pace for the first two miles. I hit four and a half and stopped by the bleachers for a drink and oranges. I kept at it till six and half and stopped again for fuel. Ran until six and three quarters and not only did I stop for water, but I actually had to walk the next quarter of a mile. I ran for three more laps and stopped again (water/ gatorade)and walked another quarter. I did the same drill for the next mile and then for mile nine I ran until the half and considered my options. I wanted to go for that fourteen miler, but I was running out of steam, I had terrible rhythm throughout (despite the fact that I had my Blue ipod and was loving the music) and I just didn't want to continue this run/walk routine that I had going on. I could have pushed I think four or eight more laps, but I was also maintaining a terrible pace and didn't want to do any worse!
I finished that last lap running and came in at 1:56:xx. I can't remember the seconds, but it worked out to like 11:11 per mile! Holy! All of my half marathon miles have been faster than that! But it was a good run and as much as my hip flexors were hurting that Sunday, they didn't hurt the next. Although I did pull a hammy in my left leg and didn't run for the next two days and then the rest of last week just flew by and I was only mentally and physically able to get out last Sunday for one and a half miles, but it was an important one and half, becuase I did it in my new shoes! I went down to a running store over the weekend and had my gait analyzed and yep I'm an over pronator and got a pair of pink and black Mizuno's. I was a little concerned at first, but Sunday's test run proved that they will work just fine. I also rediscovered my trail shoes, so I will hit the trails today! ( I had misplaced them for a while - looked everywhere, but I had actually stashed them in another shoe box.)
I think I will need this run, I am beyond exhausted all the time. I came home from classes today and was way tired. ( Although I was so happy that I was able to write an evaluation for a class that has just been choas and an excercise in busy work.)
I took a nap and now I really have no energy so maybe this will help give me some more endurance for the rest of this awful semester. I'm trying to be positive about it, but I have no idea where I am going from here. I only have one semester left after this and then who knows.
I was eighteen when I started college. Since then I have lost so much faith in the education system and in my own ability and desire to be a part of it. My boyfriend of two and half years keeps telling my that we need to set a date and get married. I keep telling him fall 2011, because I'm thinking if we get married before we both finish our college educations we might not complete them. And how would I tell my future kids school is a good thing and that it will all be worth it one day, if I know I am lying through my freaking teeth? I swear I am one more failed test away from getting my tubes tied lol, because at least then the buck would stop with me.
On the plus side I do know that eighteen year old Meagan would be proud that I have completed four halfs. She would be proud that despite the pending degree's lack of value at least its almost done. She would be proud that despite everything I will continue to run and test my limits. (Sanity included!) She would be glad that I am on a better track now than I was year ago today.
So here's to finding better rhythm and remembering to take life one step at a time
No comments:
Post a Comment